Between the two products an intermediate phase is present. To control the layer thickness of the intermediate phase and to ensure that the drained products are not contaminated, the Multiphase Level Measurement system EmulsionSENS from Berthold is used to detemine the interface positions of the different product layers. Due to two different arrangements either the product density at specific heights (aligned arrangement) is provided or the level of different layers can be measured continuously (staggered arrangement). The non-contacting, non-intrusive technology is ideal for the harsh acidic process.
- Online monitoring of separation process
- Reliably prevents acid carry-over
- Increased process safety
- Virtually no need for maintenance or care-related work, keeping work time in the acidic area to a minimum
- Multiple detectors and sources distributed along the measurement range
- Fixed installation, no moving parts and therefore very robust system
- Very precise density information at corresponding detector height, density accuracy ≤0.002 g/cm³ (aligned arrangement)
- Or continuous level measurement of the interface layers, level accuracy +/- ≤ 25 mm (staggered arrangement)
- Optional: Control unit for visualization and operation
The acid used in the alkylation process is stored in the acid storage drums. Measuring the acid level is important to fulfill the highest safety standards, especially in an emergency case where all acid has to be pumped back into this drum. It is of extreme importance, that the level measurement is reliable and fast responding. In addition to the level gauge, Berthold also provides a radiometric level switch for high level alarm.
- Real-time information on acid level
- Reliable control of acid process cycle
- Increased safety in emergency shut down cases
- Non-contacting, non-intrusive level gauge
- Easy to install on existing tanks, without modification or process downtime
- Repeatable and long-term stable measurement due to patented stabilisation technology
- No recalibrations required, maintenance-free
A reliable measurement, requiring no maintenance and re-calibration, is vital for the operation of a process and is therefore, our highest priority. Berthold’s detectors operate absolutely stable irrespective of changes in ambient temperature. Even drastic temperature shifts, e.g. from winter to summer don’t irritate the measurement drift. Our patented method for detector stabilization compensates for temperature influences and aging.
Radiation Interference Protection (XIP)
With this feature, radiometric welding checks do no longer interfere the measured value. The measured value is frozen until the radiation interference detection is over. A digital output signalizes the detection of radiation interference. All Berthold level and level switch measurements are equipped with XIP.
SIL certified option
If you want to continue to measure with impending external radiation, then the "LB470RID" version is required. The measurement continues without interruption, even if external radiation is present. External radiation is detected due to its different energy. The detector then changes to a second measuring channel and continues the measurement without error. This patented process makes the system particularly reliable.
By using the Multiphase Level Measurement EmulsionSENS, operators can safely control the acid level while ensuring that acid is not carried over or hydro- carbons are not removed from the bottom of the settler. Minimize vessel leak points by using radiometric level measurement in various column bottoms such as depropanizer, acid rerun column and acid toreage/emergency dump drum.