Hydrocarbon / acid interface measurement in acid settlers
Between the two products, an intermediate phase is present. To control the layer thickness of the intermediate phase, and to ensure that the drained products are not contaminated, the EmulsionSENS Multiphase Level Measurement system from Berthold is used to detemine the positions of the different product layers. Offering two different arrangements, either the product density at specific heights (aligned arrangement) is provided, or the level of the various phases can be measured continuously (staggered arrangement). This noncontact technology is ideal for the harsh acidic process.
- Online monitoring of separation process
- Reliably prevent acid carry-over
- Increased process safety
- Virtually no need for maintenance related work, keeping work time in the acidic area to a minimum
- Multiple detectors and sources distributed along the measurement range
- Fixed installation, no moving parts and therefore robust system
- Very precise density information at corresponding detector height, density accuracy ≤0.002 g/cm³ (aligned arrangement)
- Or level measurement of the interface layers, level accuracy +/- ≤ 25 mm (staggered arrangement)
- Optional: Control unit for visualization and operation
Level & level switch measurement in acid storage drums
The acid used in the alkylation process is stored in the acid storage drums. Measuring the acid level is important to fulfill the highest safety standards, especially in an emergency case where all acid has to be pumped back into this drum. It is of extreme importance that the level measurement be reliable and respond quickly. In addition to the level gauge, Berthold also provides a radiometric level switch for high level alarm.
- Real-time information on acid level
- Reliable control of acid process cycle
- Increased safety in emergency shut down cases
- Non-contacting, non-intrusive level gauge
- Easy to install on existing tanks, without modification or process downtime
- Repeatable and stable measurement due to patented stabilisation technology
- No recalibration required
A reliable measurement, requiring no recalibration, is vital for the operation of the alky unit, and is our highest priority. Berthold’s detectors offer stability in the face of changes in ambient temperature. Even drastic temperature shifts, e.g. from winter to summer do not cause measurement drift. Our patented method for detector stabilization compensates for temperature changes and aging.
Radiation Interference Protection (XIP)
With this function, weld tests no longer cause sudden fluctuations in the measured value. When weld tests are detected, the measured value is frozen until the external radiation event ends. A digital output can be set to signal the detection of interfering radiation.
All of our level measurement detectors are equipped with XIP.
SIL certified option
If you want to continue to measure with impending external radiation, then the "LB470RID" version is required. The measurement continues without interruption, even if external radiation is present. External radiation is detected due to its different energy. The detector then changes to a second measuring channel and continues the measurement without error. This patented process makes the system particularly reliable.
By using the EmulsionSENS Multiphase Level Measurement, operators can safely control the acid level while ensuring that acid is not carried over and hydrocarbons are not removed from the bottom of the settler. Minimize vessel leak points by using radiometric level measurement in various distillation column bottoms such as the depropanizer, acid rerun column, and acid storage/emergency dump drum.